A book each physicist should have in her library

I am currently furnishing my new office and for my book shelf I decided to buy some special edition of my favourite books. During my studies of physics I had a lot of different text books for the basic physics courses,  like Berkeley physics course or Tiplers book. And although many of them were great none of them impressed me like The Feynman Lectures on Physics. Therefore I decided to buy the millennium edition of this book(s)


Between 1963 and 1965  Richard Feynman taught lectures to Caltech freshmen and sophomores - out of these lectures the three volumes of the book has been created by him and his coauthors. Volume I concentrates on mechanics, radiation, and heat; Volume II on electromagnetism and matter; and Volume III on quantum mechanics.

I want to end today's blog post with a cite of Mark Kac:

"There are two kinds of geniuses: the 'ordinary' and the 'magicians'. An ordinary genius is a fellow whom you and I would be just as good as, if we were only many times better. There is no mystery as to how his mind works. Once we understand what they've done, we feel certain that we, too, could have done it. It is different with the magicians. Even after we understand what they have done it is completely dark. Richard Feynman is a magician of the highest calibre."